Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Vacation Memories

A couple of weeks ago, I had a complete photo related meltdown. Luckily, it was not relating to a paying client - instead it was relating to my most vivid memory from my vacation last month.

Brandon and I strolled through the modern shops and old cobblestone streets right after arriving in San Juan, Puerto Rico. We eventually made our way to the old fort and spent the rest of the afternoon exploring and taking photographs. In addition to being one of the most beautiful things I saw on our trip to the Caribbean, it was the only time I pulled out my camera in earnest. One image in particular stuck out in my mind - the older woman sitting on the bench, enjoying music. She made the best subject ever. She was sitting, silent and still, absorbed in the music across the courtyard. She seemed serene. I wanted to be that way too - I silently vowed to make that my goal for the rest of my trip. It was nearly pitch black, but I set my camera wide open, balanced on a bench as a makeshift tripod, and got a shot.

Fast forward home. My flights - during the long Thanksgiving weekend - were seriously delayed. I barely made it on my plane, literally running a 400m dash in the Denver airport, then gasping for breath the next 20 minutes from being out of shape and at 6,000 ft, about 5900 ft higher altitude than usual. After arriving in San Diego at midnight, I was locked out of my house from my well-intentioned brother in law, who took my keys to feed my doggies, until he came at 3am on his way to work. Instead of sleeping in the next day, I woke up early and drove to Palmdale to see my best friend off before she was leaving to join her husband in Connecticut.

The point: at some point in all this, I remember taking out my memory card and replacing it with a new one, so I could get some photos with Lucinda and her daughter Kate. So I knew the card was at home... but after a week, I had no idea where. I got caught up in work, forgot about it. Then right before Christmas (when I sold my old D80 after receiving a fabulous upgrade), I went on a rampage. I cleaned everything in the house. And it was nowhere to be found.

I was crestfallen. But then... last week... I found it! And now I have photographic proof of my presence on that lovely evening. The picture didn't turn out as well as I had hoped (my biggest issue with the D80 was grainyness at higher iso's), but in my mind, it will always be the masterpiece I envisioned when I saw the woman on the bench.


Brandon took a picture of me taking the picture (his words: you look ridiculous, you know this, right?)
And something lighter and more tropical like to end on a positive note!

No comments: